How to Make Your Book Appeal to its Target Audience
Do your research before you start writing, before you start planning, even. Discover what your target audience is currently reading and wants more of; what are the current trends for that demographic?
- You can then tailor your writing to reflect those trends.
- Just remember, though, if you are writing to trend, write fast. “Trendy” writing will quickly become outdated.
- If you are writing to trend, you should also be aware of what makes your different from the rest. What is the one unique thing about it that will help it to sell?
Once you have finished, do some more research!
- Where should you advertise to gain the most traction from your chosen audience?
- For example, if you are targeting teenagers / young adults, social media is a sure fire way to reach them!
And, finally, remember to think of your readers as real people too, not just as consumers.
- If we stick with the YA example, you need to be asking yourself questions like,
- Exactly how old are my readers going to be?
- What average level of education will they have? ( !!! PRO TIP !!! You can use the answer to this question to shape the words and phrases that you use in your advertising).
- How much disposable income might they have? How much money will they have / want to spend on books? (The answers to these questions will be especially insightful if you are going to self-publish, as the price will then be set at your discretion!)
- How do they prefer to read – eBook, paperback, hardback?
- Take all of these things into account when you are marketing to make sure you reach as many people as possible.
- And, if you are at all able to, I would suggest running a focus group with your chosen audience. At a push, you could probably do this via an online survey, but it is always better to do it in person … And it is without a doubt the best way to get the answers that you need.
- Be sure to ask them what they liked about the book, and what they didn’t like. What improvements would they make? And don’t just focus on the content of your book, ask them about the design of it as well.
- Who knows, you might even get some glowing reviews to share on your social media pages afterwards!