Book Illustrations Service
See your stories brought to life with high-quality, vivid book illustrations that speak to your readers. See characters become real and landscapes jump out from the page with colourful, detailed illustrations that make your book stand out from the crowd. Whether it's children's book illustrations or drawings to accompany poetry, sometimes a little visual aid can go a long way!
In a nutshell
Work with a talented designer to produce beautiful, custom children's book illustrations that will bring your characters to life. Your designer can collaborate with you to create the characters and scenes that you'd envisioned when writing the book, and can provide concepts and ideas when you're not yet sure exactly what you need.
What it costs
Light Style: £25 per illustration (inc. VAT)
Medium Style: £50 per illustration (inc. VAT)
Heavy Style: £75 per illustration (inc. VAT)
Authorhouse: £199-£279 per illustration
Xlibris: £100-£250 per illustration
If you live outside of the UK, please ask your Publishing Advisor the correct price for your country.
Light children's book illustrations are striking and bold. Perfect for poetry and younger children’s picture books, they communicate a tale. They use minimal detail, simple lines and shade, flat colours, little background detail and simple artistic techniques.
Medium children's book illustrations contain extra detail and texture. Suitable for any text, but perfect for an older children’s story, they are relatively detailed and use textured colours, thorough lines and shade and a polished finish (e.g. pointilism, cartoon-style).
Heavy children's book illustrations are embellished and intricately detailed, with deep backgrounds and rich textures. They use complex shading and extremely considered backgrounds with tone and texture. They are created using time-consuming artistic techniques, such as pointillism, realism and portraiture and have an highly polished finish.
Browse examples in the Design Galleries.
Why do we do this?
We include custom book illustrations as part of our children's paperback publications, as we believe that vivid designs and eye-catching characters can really capture the imagination and add to the story. Our Book Illustrations Service is also available as a stand-alone option, which means that authors can ensure their illustrations truly reflect the characters and stories within their book, and can proceed with them along whichever publishing route they feel is right.
How do we do this?
- Personal, one-to-one contact - A dedicated Account Manager, who will be your personal contact during the book illustrations process and can discuss options with you from a professional perspective
- Discussion of your ideas - We encourage you to provide as much information as possible such as images for inspiration, sketches and written thoughts
- Three character concepts - Along with a storyboard, often providing completely different ideas or variations on a particular theme if this is important to you, such as different looks for a main character. Colour palettes are often discussed and your input is encouraged
- Your feedback - Used by your Designer to create complete book illustrations, using your suggestions and amendments. You can pick between elements of all three concepts in a ‘mix-and-match’ style method to produce the illustration style that is right for you
- Amendments - At the complete book illustrations stage, a further set of amendments is permitted from you before the final designs are produced
- The Designer will produce the final children's book illustrations, ready to be used as part of your story
I'd like to thank Sarah and Rowanvale books for their help in this process. It is much appreciated. I would definitely recommend them to others.Jackie Yelland, author of Emma, Eddie and Jack Go To: Sherwood Forest, Emma, Eddie and Jack Go To: Sherwood Pines and 2 other titles
They also used our Proofreading & Copy-Editing Service, Custom Book Cover Design Service, Paperback Publishing Service, Marketing & Aftercare Service and Children's Book Publishing