Proofreading & Copy-Editing Service
Book editing is one of the most crucial aspects of publishing, whether you're working with a publishing company or going it alone. Having a well-written manuscript can make all the difference - not only to your book sales, but to your reputation as an author. For that reason, we believe book editing should be as high-quality (and yet as cost-effective) as possible, because it's not something any author should be without!
In a nutshell
Each manuscript is reviewed by more than one pair of eyes, since even the best editor can miss errors occasionally. Longer manuscripts are split into stages so as to make the book editing process more manageable and enjoyable for you, and our Writing Advisors will provide you with an Editorial Summary to give context, clarity and explain ways to improve your writing in general. As an author you can review, approve and decline changes and suggestions as you wish - we believe in full author control.
What it costs
Costs dependent on word count and editing level of manuscript. Please speak to a Publishing Advisor, for an accurate quote.
- A thorough Proofread & Copy-Edit, carried out by a Writing Advisor who will take into account your preferences
- A second Proofread, by a different member of the editorial team
- An extra Quality Control check, carried out by a third member of the team
- An Editorial Summary, highlighting areas of improvement
Why do we do this?
One of the tell-tale signs of a poor-quality, self-published book is the lack of professional book editing. Badly written books, or texts with errors littered throughout, can really harm an author's reputation, which is why we value book editing so deeply. We include book editing in all of our publication packages, and the Proofreading & Copy-Editing Service is also available as a stand-alone service, which means that authors can ensure their manuscript is edited to high standard regardless of where and how they publish.
How do we do this?
If your manuscript is longer than 45,000 words, book editing will be split into two 'Stages'; any manuscripts longer than 120,000 words will be split into three Stages. We find that this makes the process much more manageable (and enjoyable!) for you.
- Once you're ready to go, your Writing Advisor will complete the (Stage 1) edit. Your Account Manager will then send you the edited manuscript for your review (along with your Editorial Summary)
- Once you have reviewed the edit, your Writing Advisor will implement the changes as per your preferences. Your Account Manager will then send the manuscript to you for review and approval
- The Stage 2 and Stage 3 Edits (if applicable) follows the same process as above
- A second member of the editorial team will carry out the second proofread. Your Account Manager will then send you the proofread manuscript for your review
- Once you have reviewed the proofread, your Writing Advisor will implement the changes as per your preferences. Your Account Manager will then send the document to you for review and approval
- A third member of the editorial team will carry out the final Quality Control check. Your Account Manager will send the finished manuscript to you for final review and approval
I have really enjoyed working with the staff at Rowanvale Books, and I will continue with my planned books in future as a result of this experience! From my first contact with Cat Charlton at Rowanvale Books, then working with Sarah and her team right through to receiving finished copies of my books, I have enjoyed every step of the process. Communication with everyone involved has been professional, informative, supportive and fun throughout. The enthusiastic approach from Sarah helped me remain motivated and is representative of the way everyone there encourages you as an author. I felt at all times that whilst I was in control of the process, if I wanted help or advice it would be given in a clear and supportive manner. I can highly recommend working with Rowanvale whether you're an accomplished author or first timer, and I can't wait to get the process started with my next book!Greg Peacock
They also used our , who used our Custom Book Cover Design Service and Paperback Publishing Service