Proofreading & Copy-Editing Service
Book editing is one of the most crucial aspects of publishing, whether you're working with a publishing company or going it alone. Having a well-written manuscript can make all the difference - not only to your book sales, but to your reputation as an author. For that reason, we believe book editing should be as high-quality (and yet as cost-effective) as possible, because it's not something any author should be without!
In a nutshell
Each manuscript is reviewed by more than one pair of eyes, since even the best editor can miss errors occasionally. Longer manuscripts are split into stages so as to make the book editing process more manageable and enjoyable for you, and our Writing Advisors will provide you with an Editorial Summary to give context, clarity and explain ways to improve your writing in general. As an author you can review, approve and decline changes and suggestions as you wish - we believe in full author control.
What it costs
Costs dependent on word count and editing level of manuscript. Please speak to a Publishing Advisor, for an accurate quote.
- A thorough Proofread & Copy-Edit, carried out by a Writing Advisor who will take into account your preferences
- A second Proofread, by a different member of the editorial team
- An extra Quality Control check, carried out by a third member of the team
- An Editorial Summary, highlighting areas of improvement
Why do we do this?
One of the tell-tale signs of a poor-quality, self-published book is the lack of professional book editing. Badly written books, or texts with errors littered throughout, can really harm an author's reputation, which is why we value book editing so deeply. We include book editing in all of our publication packages, and the Proofreading & Copy-Editing Service is also available as a stand-alone service, which means that authors can ensure their manuscript is edited to high standard regardless of where and how they publish.
How do we do this?
If your manuscript is longer than 45,000 words, book editing will be split into two 'Stages'; any manuscripts longer than 120,000 words will be split into three Stages. We find that this makes the process much more manageable (and enjoyable!) for you.
- Once you're ready to go, your Writing Advisor will complete the (Stage 1) edit. Your Account Manager will then send you the edited manuscript for your review (along with your Editorial Summary)
- Once you have reviewed the edit, your Writing Advisor will implement the changes as per your preferences. Your Account Manager will then send the manuscript to you for review and approval
- The Stage 2 and Stage 3 Edits (if applicable) follows the same process as above
- A second member of the editorial team will carry out the second proofread. Your Account Manager will then send you the proofread manuscript for your review
- Once you have reviewed the proofread, your Writing Advisor will implement the changes as per your preferences. Your Account Manager will then send the document to you for review and approval
- A third member of the editorial team will carry out the final Quality Control check. Your Account Manager will send the finished manuscript to you for final review and approval
I’ve thoroughly enjoyed working with the Rowanvale team and can’t wait to work with them again! As a new writer this was my first experience dealing with a third party on what has, until this point, been merely a hobby. I’m happy to say that experience has been overwhelmingly positive and I can’t recommend Rowanvale enough. Cat got the ball rolling and helped me navigate the world of publishing in a way that was easy to understand, staying in touch to ensure I was happy with everything. Sarah and her team did a fantastic job of turning my efforts into a work of a much higher standard than I could have achieved on my own, with comments and suggestions flowing back and forth throughout.Danny Marshall
Finally, the econversion service was easy and quick – Sarah again remaining an easy point of contact with all the answers in what was, to a first-timer, an extremely daunting process. Everyone was always very friendly, nothing was too much trouble. No hidden costs or additional fees, everything easy and dealt with quickly. I highly recommend Rowanvale and will certainly be coming back in future!
They also used our eBook Publishing Service