Proofreading & Copy-Editing Service
Book editing is one of the most crucial aspects of publishing, whether you're working with a publishing company or going it alone. Having a well-written manuscript can make all the difference - not only to your book sales, but to your reputation as an author. For that reason, we believe book editing should be as high-quality (and yet as cost-effective) as possible, because it's not something any author should be without!
In a nutshell
Each manuscript is reviewed by more than one pair of eyes, since even the best editor can miss errors occasionally. Longer manuscripts are split into stages so as to make the book editing process more manageable and enjoyable for you, and our Writing Advisors will provide you with an Editorial Summary to give context, clarity and explain ways to improve your writing in general. As an author you can review, approve and decline changes and suggestions as you wish - we believe in full author control.
What it costs
Costs dependent on word count and editing level of manuscript. Please speak to a Publishing Advisor, for an accurate quote.
- A thorough Proofread & Copy-Edit, carried out by a Writing Advisor who will take into account your preferences
- A second Proofread, by a different member of the editorial team
- An extra Quality Control check, carried out by a third member of the team
- An Editorial Summary, highlighting areas of improvement
Why do we do this?
One of the tell-tale signs of a poor-quality, self-published book is the lack of professional book editing. Badly written books, or texts with errors littered throughout, can really harm an author's reputation, which is why we value book editing so deeply. We include book editing in all of our publication packages, and the Proofreading & Copy-Editing Service is also available as a stand-alone service, which means that authors can ensure their manuscript is edited to high standard regardless of where and how they publish.
How do we do this?
If your manuscript is longer than 45,000 words, book editing will be split into two 'Stages'; any manuscripts longer than 120,000 words will be split into three Stages. We find that this makes the process much more manageable (and enjoyable!) for you.
- Once you're ready to go, your Writing Advisor will complete the (Stage 1) edit. Your Account Manager will then send you the edited manuscript for your review (along with your Editorial Summary)
- Once you have reviewed the edit, your Writing Advisor will implement the changes as per your preferences. Your Account Manager will then send the manuscript to you for review and approval
- The Stage 2 and Stage 3 Edits (if applicable) follows the same process as above
- A second member of the editorial team will carry out the second proofread. Your Account Manager will then send you the proofread manuscript for your review
- Once you have reviewed the proofread, your Writing Advisor will implement the changes as per your preferences. Your Account Manager will then send the document to you for review and approval
- A third member of the editorial team will carry out the final Quality Control check. Your Account Manager will send the finished manuscript to you for final review and approval
I am very pleased with my working relationship with Rowanvale Books. Communication and professional quality definitely come to mind when I think of my experience with Rowanvale Books. The covers of my books A Right to Live and Aurélie: On the Road were done superbly, exactly like I had envisioned it, and I was also very happy with the work of the editors. I especially appreciate the fact that the staff published an article about my campaign to close a terrible, local zoo on their site, giving my campaign more support and exposure. I always had the feeling that the staff at Rowanvale Books had my back.Christine Duts, author of A Right to Live and Aurelie - On The Road
They also used our Custom Book Cover Design Service, eBook Publishing Service and Marketing & Aftercare Service